ORLANDO, Fla. – Downtown Disney Resort Area Hotels have selected Union Cross Elementary School third grader Grace Jarrett of Kernersville, N.C., as one of seven winners of the “A+ For Teachers at Downtown Disney” awards competition, hosted in partnership with Walt Disney World® to honor outstanding teachers. Winning essays were selected based on overall content, grammar and heart.
Jarrett submitted an essay nominating her physical education teacher Joan S Charles as an “A+ Teacher” because she raised the money to build a new playground at the school that also is open to neighborhood children for play. Charles named it the Kristin Blair Charles Playground in honor of her daughter who died after an illness. She raised the funds by selling t-shirts, bracelets and necklaces.
“Mrs. Charles said that the playground was better than a funeral because everyone would enjoy the playground,” said Jarrett in her winning essay.
Jarrett and Charles each are being honored with a vacation prize package consisting of:
· Five-day / four-night accommodations (for up to four family members) at one of the Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels
· Four free Walt Disney World® one-day, one-park passes
· Four free tickets to the DisneyQuest® Indoor Interactive theme park
· Complimentary breakfast at the hotel each day (for up to four family members)
· One $100 gas card
The more than 600 contest entrants from across the country praised their teachers for hard work, mentoring, a sense of humor, engaging lesson plans, dedication, patience, and sincere concern for their students. Their essays relate tales of educators who stand out with their unique teaching and ability to connect with students.
“Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels are delighted to once again honor seven students and their teachers who truly are stand-out educators making a difference in our schools every day,” said Kevin Renzi, chairperson of the organization’s marketing committee. “We’re thrilled with the entries we received in our contest, and we look forward to hosting our seven lucky winners and their teachers in the coming months.”
About Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels
The Downtown Disney Resort Area Hotels is a diverse collection of seven Official Walt Disney World® Hotels that includes Best Western, Holiday Inn, Double Tree Suites by Hilton, Hilton, Royal Plaza, Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa, and the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista. With nearly 30 food and beverage outlets and restaurants, more than 3,600 rooms and scores of amenities, they offer a rate, space and menu to please every guest. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney® Area, these properties are within walking distance of some of the Central Florida's best shopping, dining and entertainment.
· Complimentary transportation to all four Disney theme parks, two of Disney's water parks and Downtown Disney every 30 minutes
· Advanced tee times and discounts at all four Disney championship golf courses
· Disney’s Extra Magic Hours (at select hotels)
· Delivery of souvenirs purchased at the parks directly to their hotel room at no cost
To make a reservation or for more information on the 2012 A+ For Teachers at Downtown Disney contest winners, visit www.downtowndisneyhotels.com.